Richard Canady has acted in the capacity of general counsel for numerous publicly held corporations, and has very broad experience in the areas of buying and selling privately and publicly held businesses, securities offerings and corporate governance. Many of the transactions he has been responsible for have been on behalf of foreign companies, including the acquisition of Pebble Beach Company in 1992 by a Japanese client and the sale of that Company in 1999 to a group led by Peter Ueberroth, Clint Eastwood and Arnold Palmer.
His clients have included companies in the financial, telecommunications, retail, pharmaceutical, health care, Internet, banking, brokerage, real estate, engineering, merchant banking and radio industries.
Mr. Canady was a partner with the San Francisco law firm of Howard Rice Nemerovski Canady Falk & Rabkin PC for more than 40 years. Upon the merger of that firm with Arnold & Porter LLP in 2012, Mr. Canady became a senior counsel in the firm's corporate and securities group.
Mr. Canady served in the Pentagon as a Navy Lieutenant in the Office of the Navy Judge Advocate General. He served as Law Clerk to the Honorable Judge Oliver D. Hamlin, United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
- Pebble Beach Company in its acquisition and disposition.
- The Charles Schwab Corporation in its acquisitions of US Trust Corporation, Soundview Technologies Group, CyberCorp, The 401(k) Companies and the private asset management division of State Street Bank.
- The Charles Schwab Corporation in its disposition of US Trust Company to the Bank of America.
- The Charles Schwab Corporation in its disposition of its capital markets group to UBS.
- Sierra Nevada Brewing Company leveraged recapitalization.
- The Good Guys, Inc., a publicly held consumer electronics company, in its sale to CompUSA.
- China MobileSoft, Ltd. in its acquisition by PalmSource, Inc.
- PalmSource, Inc. in its sale to ACCESS Co., Ltd.
- Large after-market parts company in its sale to a financial buyer.
- National Display Systems, Inc., a medical device company, in its sale to a financial buyer.
Corporate: Mergers & Acquisitions (2014-2017, 2019, 2021)
Securities/Capital Markets Law (1993-2023)
- LL.M., Taxation, Georgetown University Law Center
- J.D., University of Iowa College of Law, Order of the Coif
- B.Sc., University of Iowa
Navy Lieutenant, Office of the Navy Judge Advocate General
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, The Honorable Oliver D. Hamlin
Member, American Bar Association, Taxation Section and Business Law Section Committee on Negotiated Acquisitions