Lauren Daniel is an environmental litigator handling a wide range of disputes, including actions under the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA), the Oil Pollution Act (OPA), the Clean Water Act (CWA), and a variety of state environmental laws. Ms. Daniel has particular expertise in natural resource damages (NRD) litigation and cost recovery and contribution actions under these statutes. In addition, Ms. Daniel helps advise clients with respect to a variety of environmental regulatory, permitting and enforcement issues under various federal and state environmental statutes, with a focus on environmental remediation issues.
Ms. Daniel also has an active pro bono practice and is a member of the firm's Pro Bono Committee. She has successfully assisted asylum seekers and undocumented immigrants with immigration matters, obtained a favorable settlement for an undocumented victim of police violence, and obtained relief for mentally ill prisoners subject to unconstitutional treatment in the Pennsylvania prison system.
Ms. Daniel graduated from Columbia Law School in 2012, where she was a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar, the recipient of the 2012 Alfred A. Forsyth Prize for Qualities of Intellect and Self Dedication to the Advancement of Environmental Law and acted as President of the Columbia Environmental Law Society. Ms. Daniel graduated cum laude from Claremont McKenna College in 2008, where she received a BA in Philosophy and International Relations and was awarded departmental honors in both Philosophy and Government.
- BP in environmental matters relating to the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. Member of CWA trial team, member of NRD legal team, and member of team that negotiated settlement for both the CWA civil penalties and NRD claims brought by various government entities.
- Honeywell International relating to its Syracuse portfolio, including Onondaga Lake, one of the largest lake Superfund sites in the United States. The portfolio includes the successful defense of a lawsuit brought by a community group challenging methods employed in the remediation of Onondaga Lake, the settlement of NRD claims related to the Site, the settlement of EPA cost recovery claims related to the Site, oversight of remedy implementation, and negotiation and settlement of dozens of contribution and cost recovery claims, including claims against the United States for WWII contributions to the Site.
- Several Fortune 500 companies in connection with environmental risk assessment, remediation of contaminated sites, real estate transactions, and environmental permitting matters. In particular, Ms. Daniel has represented clients in investigation, remediation and/or allocation at more than two dozen contaminated sites.
Environmental Law360. Also ran in Appellate Law360, California Law360, Energy Law360, Product Liability Law360 and Texas Law360.
- JD, Columbia Law School, 2012, Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
- BA, Claremont McKenna College, 2008, cum laude
- District of Columbia
- New York
- US District Court, District of Columbia
- Co-Chair, American Bar Association Committee on Superfund and Natural Resource Damages Litigation