Paolo Di Rosa heads the firm's global International Arbitration group. His practice centers on the representation of sovereign states and private sector companies worldwide in international arbitration, litigation, and public international law matters, including in particular disputes between investors and states under investment treaties. Although his practice spans all geographic regions of the globe, he has especially extensive experience in legal matters relating to Latin America (acquired both in the private sector and the US federal government), along with a fully bilingual and bicultural background.
Mr. Di Rosa has been recognized as a leading practitioner of international arbitration in the most recent editions of publications such as Chambers USA, Chambers Global, Chambers Latin America, The Legal 500 US, The Legal 500 Latin America, Best Lawyers in America, The International Who's Who of Commercial Arbitration, Super Lawyers, and Euromoney's Guide to the World's Leading Experts, among others. He has also been recognized as a public international law specialist in the most recent editions of Chambers Global.
He has served as an arbitrator in different types of international arbitration. In 2009, the United States Government named Mr. Di Rosa as party-appointed arbitrator in the NAFTA arbitration CANACAR v. United States of America (currently suspended). In December 2015, President Barack Obama announced that he would be nominating Mr. Di Rosa as one of the four US members of the ICSID Roster of Arbitrators. See White House Press Release. The designation was formalized on February 23, 2016. Mr. Di Rosa is also a frequent speaker and panelist at international conferences.
Mr. Di Rosa provides legal services to private sector and sovereign clients on matters involving international arbitration; enforcement of arbitral awards; international litigation; transactions involving governmental entities; and public international law matters (including sovereign immunity).
Mr. Di Rosa has substantial government experience as a result of his service as a senior-level lawyer at the US Department of State during the Clinton Administration. He was a member of the Senior Executive Service of the US Government, with the rank of Assistant Legal Adviser at the State Department legal office. As head of the Office of the Legal Adviser for Western Hemisphere Affairs, he had supervisory or direct responsibility for legal matters pertaining to US relations with all countries in Latin America and the Caribbean, as well as Canada. During his tenure at the US State Department, Mr. Di Rosa was awarded a Superior Honor Award as well as a Meritorious Honor Award.
- Karkey Karadeniz Elektrik Uretim A.S., a leading Turkish energy company, in a successful ICSID arbitration against the Islamic Republic of Pakistan. In August 2017, the tribunal unanimously issued a final award in our client's favor, finding Pakistan liable under the Turkey-Pakistan bilateral investment treaty, and ordering Pakistan to pay approximately $800 million in damages (including interest), one of the largest damages awards in ICSID history.
- EDF International and SAUR International (French companies), and León Participaciones Argentinas, S.A. (Luxembourg-based company) in an ICSID arbitration against Argentina. The arbitration concluded with an award of damages in favor of our client, in an amount which (including interest) exceeds $219 million (as of Feb. 2016). An annulment attempt by Argentina was defeated, and pursuant to the annulment decision issued on 5 February 2016, our client’s victory is now final and definitive.
- Club Hotel Loutraki (Greek company) and Casinos Austria (Austrian company) in an ICSID arbitration filed under the Greece-Serbia and Austria-Serbia bilateral investment treaties. Case settled.
- Daimler Financial Services AG (German company) in the annulment phase of an ICSID arbitration against Argentina involving a claiming of over $600 million.
- Compañía General de Electricidad (CGE), a leading Chilean energy company, in an ICSID arbitration involving claims for $125 million under the Chile-Argentina bilateral investment treaty. Case settled.
Public International Law (Global-wide): "Washington, DC-based Paolo Di Rosa offers specialist knowledge of investment treaty arbitration and has excellent experience representing sovereign states in high-stakes disputes across Latin America, Europe and Asia. He garners praise from clients, who say: 'He is brilliant and hard-working,' adding that 'his knowledge of the arbitration process and legal issues is vast and impressive.'"
International Arbitration (Latin America-wide): "Department head Paolo Di Rosa is endorsed by clients for his 'professional skills and reliability,' and they continue: 'He has demonstrated excellent knowledge and experience and was a pleasure to work with.' He is held in high esteem for his knowledge of bilateral investment treaties, regularly advising states on landmark investor-state disputes concerning the energy and natural resources sector in particular."
International Arbitration (USA-wide): "Paolo Di Rosa has attained a stellar reputation for his investment treaty arbitration practice, with clients highlighting his "strategic advice" as a key strength. He frequently represents both sovereign states and leading international corporations in high-value disputes, drawing on particular experience in matters involving Latin American parties.
- JD, Harvard Law School, 1991, cum laude
- BA, Harvard University, 1987, magna cum laude
- Editor-in-Chief, Harvard Law School, Harvard Human Rights Law Journal
- District of Columbia
- US Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- Member, ICSID Panel of Arbitrators (appointed by the United States)
- Member, USA Users Council, Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC)
- Member, ICC Task Force on Arbitration Involving States and State Entities
- Member, London Court of International Arbitration
- Member, International Arbitration Institute (IAI), Paris, France
- Member, Advisory Committee on Alternative Dispute Resolution, International Law Institute
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, American Society of International Law
- Member, Inter-American Bar Association
- Member, International Bar Association
- Member, Inter-Pacific Bar Association
- Member, International Law Association
- Member, Advisory Board, The Institute for Transnational Arbitration (ITA)
- Member, Investment Committee, Latin American Arbitration Association
- Member, Permanent Committee, Latin American Arbitration Conference (CLA)
- Member, District of Columbia Bar Association
- Chilean American Chamber of Commerce (President, Jan. 2005–Mar. 2008; Member, Board of Directors, 2005–2011)