Kabir Duggal focuses his practice on international investment arbitration, international commercial arbitration and public international law matters. Mr. Duggal's experience includes complex disputes under numerous bilateral/multilateral investment treaties and contracts in South Asia, Latin America, Central Asia, Middle East, Europe and Africa. The total value of the disputes he has been involved in exceeds 80 billion dollars. He has facilitated the mediation and negotiation of complex disputes. He also acts as a Consultant for the United Nations Office of the High Representative for Least Developed Countries, Landlocked Developing Countries and Small Island Developing States (UN-OHRLLS) on the creation of a novel "Investment Support Program."
Mr. Duggal has considerable experience in various aspects of public international law and dispute resolution. He was a consultant at The World Bank Group in Washington, DC, where he worked with the Development Research Group focusing on socioeconomic rights in the developing world, and for UNICEF on issues of child rights and child protection. He has also worked as a judicial clerk for an Indian Supreme Court Judge.
Mr. Duggal is a Lecturer-in-Law at the Columbia Law School, teaching "International Investment Law and Arbitration." Additionally, he has taught dispute resolution courses in educational institutions all over the world. Mr. Duggal has published several articles and books and is regularly invited to speak at conferences globally. He is the Managing Editor for Columbia Law School's "The American Review of International Arbitration." He has co-authored a book entitled "Evidence in Investment Arbitration" published by Oxford University Press and has received the Burton "Law360 Distinguish Legal Writing Award" for his scholarly writings.
Mr. Duggal also sits as an arbitrator and mediator. He is admitted to the American Arbitration Association (AAA): Panel of Arbitrators, International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution (CPR): Panel of Distinguished Neutrals, SIAC's Panel of Arbitrators, HKIAC'S List of Arbitrators, Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution: ABTA arbitration scheme, FINRA's arbitration roster, Resolute System’s Panel of Arbitrators and Mediators, the Asian International Arbitration Centre (formerly the Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration) Panel of Arbitrators and Panel of Mediators, and is also listed on the LCIA, the LCIA Mauritius' Neutrals Database, and the USCIB Panel of Arbitrators.
Mr. Duggal is currently pursuing his PhD at Leiden Law School.
- Sole arbitrator in a dispute involving breach of contract administered by the American Arbitration Association's Expedited Procedures (applicable law: Delaware).
- Sole arbitrator in a dispute involving the alleged failure to perform according to a written commodity supply services agreement administered by the American Arbitration Association (applicable law: New York).
- Sole arbitrator in a multi-million dollar shipping dispute between an Indian party and a Chinese party administered by the Singapore International Arbitration Centre (applicable law: Singapore).
- Sole arbitrator in a dispute involving alleged failure to make milestone payments under a contract in relation to an e-commerce platform administered by the American Arbitration Association (applicable law: New York).
- Sole arbitrator in a dispute involving a potential breach of the UK Package Travel, Package Holidays and Package Tours Regulations 1992 administered by the Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution (applicable law: England & Wales).
- Sole arbitrator in a dispute under the UK's Travel Association Scheme administered by the Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution (applicable law: England & Wales).
- LLM, International Legal Studies, New York University School of Law, 2008, Hauser Global Scholar, Transitional Justice Fellow
- BCL, University of Oxford, 2007, Oxford-Cambridge Society of India Scholar, DHL-Times of India Scholar
- Post Graduate Diploma in International Humanitarian Law, Nalsar University of Law, 2006, Gold Medal
- Post Graduate Diploma in Human Rights Law, University of Mumbai, 2005, Gold Medal
- LLB, Government Law College, University of Mumbai, 2004, Gold Medal, 5 awards, and Ranganath Rao Trophy
- New York
- District of Columbia
- England and Wales
- Supreme Court of India, The Honorable Sujata Manohar
- Fellow, Columbia Center on Sustainable Investment (since 2014)
- Associate Editor, Brill-Nijhoff Publishers, International Investment Law and Arbitration (since 2015)
- ICSID Peer Review Board (since 2014)
- Global Advisory Board, Oxford University Press' Investmentclaims.com (since 2017)
- Editor and Head, Advisory Team on "Procedure," Oxford University Press' Investmentclaims.com (since 2014)
- The Indian Society of International Law, Life Member (since 2014)
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrator Young Members Steering Committee (since 2015)
- HK Under45 Regional Ambassador for New York, Hong Kong International Arbitration Center (since 2016)
- Advisory Committee, International Arbitration Cell, Government Law College (since 2017)
- Advisory Committee, Harvard International Arbitration Law Students Association (HIALSA) (since 2017)
- Co-Chair, Private International Law Interest Group, American Society of International Law (since 2017)
- Advisory Committee, Georgetown International Investment Law Center (IILC) (since 2018)