Rebecca Gordon assists clients on a cross-section of litigation-related matters, but primarily in the areas of tax controversy and fiduciary litigation matters. Specifically, this work includes assisting corporations, partnerships and individuals in Internal Revenue Service (IRS) audits and proceedings before the IRS Appeals Office and various state taxing authorities, as well as the United States Tax Court and state and federal trial and appellate courts. This work also includes representing clients in estates and trusts disputes, including challenges to wills and trust agreements on the basis of undue influence, incapacity or fraud, defending parties against allegations of fraudulent transfer, handling conflicts between co-trustees, disputes over trust management or the disposition of trust property, and assisting with investigations regarding the potential failure of officers and directors of public charities and private foundations to satisfy their fiduciary duties.
Ms. Gordon also has an active pro bono practice, including a long-standing death penalty appellate matter.
- High net worth individual in concurrent multiple tax refund litigation matters in federal district and appellate courts.
- High net worth individual in successfully negotiating installment agreements with both the IRS and state taxing authority in lieu of issuance of tax liens.
- Government contractor client in successfully negotiating the release of millions of dollars in tax refunds by District of Columbia Office of Tax and Revenue.
- Charitable organization in audit and assessment relating to organization's membership publication.
- J.D., University of Maryland School of Law, 1999, with honors, Order of the Coif
- B.A., Government and Politics, University of Maryland at College Park, 1995
- District of Columbia
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- U.S. Tax Court