Matthew Grant focuses his practice on complex litigation matters, as well as regulatory and criminal enforcement matters involving the financial markets. He has extensive experience representing banks, hedge funds, and other large national and multinational corporate entities in securities, antitrust, and other civil litigation matters frequently involving complex financial instruments, including municipal bond derivatives, residential mortgage backed securities, structured finance transactions, "hell or high water" equipment leases, tax lien portfolios, and other sophisticated financial products, as well as matters involving products liability, mass and toxic torts, licensing of telecast rights, corporate governance, fiduciary duties, and bankruptcy claims.
Mr. Grant also has extensive experience representing banking and corporate clients in connection with multiagency criminal and regulatory investigations into potential violations of the False Claims Act, securities laws, antitrust laws, tax regulations and other federal and state statutes. He has worked closely with many government and regulatory agencies, including the US Attorneys' Office, US Securities and Exchange Commission, US Department of Justice (DOJ), the Antitrust Division of the US DOJ, Federal Bureau of Investigation, Internal Revenue Service, and a number of State Attorneys General. Mr. Grant also has provided substantial assistance to clients in connection with internal investigations into potentially violative conduct.
- One of the nation’s largest government contractors in a series of investigations by the United States Attorneys’ Office and certain state attorneys general and related False Claims Act qui tam litigation matters relating to the processing of Medicaid claims.
- Financial division of a major multinational corporation in connection with a complex criminal and regulatory investigation of the municipal bond reinvestment markets by the US Department of Justice-Antitrust Division, SEC, IRS, and State Attorneys General, as well as a related series of multidistrict private civil and class action litigation matters.
- Large multinational bank in connection with an industry-wide investigation by the federal Residential Mortgage Backed Securities Task Force.
- Major national banking and financial institution in connection with high-profile class action and opt-out securities fraud litigations involving complex structured finance transactions, and arising out of the collapse of Enron Corp. Also assisted the same client in connection with related investigations by the Department of Justice, FBI, and SEC into the conduct of certain of its private banking customers.
- JD, Villanova University Law School, 2002, cum laude
- BA, University of Richmond, 1998
- New York
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- US District Court, Eastern District of New York
- US District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- US District Court, Southern District of New York