Environmental attorney Sarah Grey counsels clients in the energy, fuels, manufacturing, and automobile industries on a wide range of Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and California regulatory matters, with a focus on stationary and mobile sources under the Clean Air Act and related state statutes.
Ms. Grey's background includes serving as regulatory counsel for a large biofuels company, where she supported the environmental and permitting teams for over 25 facilities. In this role, she advised on compliance with state and federal environmental regulations, responded to Clean Air Act information requests and notices of violations, and negotiated consent decrees. She also advised the industry trade association on a range of policy matters and managed litigation in state and federal court.
Ms. Grey has a breadth of experience on a variety of environmental transactional matters, including supporting multi-hundred million dollar real estate transactions for complex Brownfields development projects. She also counseled a major technology and energy efficiency company on the environmental aspects of various corporate transactions that involved negotiation of complex environmental indemnity agreements and environmental due diligence for multi-facility transactions. Ms. Grey advises clients regarding contaminated sites as well as environmental auditing policies under state and federal environmental law.
Ms. Grey is a graduate of Stanford Law School, where she was Editor-in-Chief of the Stanford Environmental Law Journal and 3L Class President. While at Stanford, she also earned a Master of Science degree in Environment and Resources, with a focus on energy policy.
- Major US automobile company in a wide range of EPA and California regulatory matters, including compliance matters under the EPA and ARB greenhouse gas rules, congressional inquiries regarding those rules, and regulatory questions regarding labeling, onboard diagnostics, defect reporting, and federal fleet purchasing requirements.
- Nonroad engine manufacturer regarding a range of US EPA and California regulatory matters, including issues related to certification, labeling, remanufacturing, delegated assembly, audits, and replacement of nonroad engines.
- Fortune 100 company in connection with environmental risk assessment, remediation of contaminated sites, and real estate transactions.
- Manufacturing company, in advising and assisting in major Brownfields redevelopment projects in New Jersey.
Bloomberg BNA's Environmental, Health & Safety Webinar
Environmental Transactions and Brownfields Committee Newsletter, Volume 17, No. 2
Bloomberg BNA's Daily Environment Report
- JD, Stanford Law School, 2011
- MS, Stanford University, 2011
- BA, University of Virginia, 2007, with honors
- District of Columbia
- US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- US District Court, Eastern District of Virginia, The Honorable Rebecca Beach Smith
- Vice Chair, Newsletter, American Bar Association Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources (SEER), Air Quality Committee
- Participant, American Bar Association SEER Leadership Development Program (2018-2019)
- Member, Women’s Energy Network