Dori Hanswirth co-leads Arnold & Porter's Technology, Media & Telecommunications industry group and is a litigator in the firm's Media & Entertainment practice, bringing more than 20 years' experience for clients in the news, technology, and entertainment industries, with a focus on First Amendment, trademark, defamation, right of publicity, and copyright law/fair use.
She advises individual clients and organizations on issues related to reputation, brand protection, and media, copyright, and trademark in a range of other industries, including fintech, internet services, non-profits, and social media.
- Investigative journalist in defending her right to maintain the secrecy of her sources in reporting on the Batman movie theater mass shooting, leading to a landmark decision in the New York Court of Appeals.
- Global technology company in numerous trademark matters, providing enforcement strategy and counseling concerning software, hardware, advertising, and mobile/telecommunications products and services, and representation in multiple proceedings before the U.S. Trademark Trial and Appeal Board pertaining to its most well-known brands.
- Famous athlete with the filing of NFT and cryptocurrency trademark applications.
- Planned Parenthood in securing the early dismissal in district court, and affirmance by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, of a defamation suit that arose as a result of Planned Parenthood's commentary concerning pending litigation.
- Public health researcher in defending a defamation suit targeting statements criticizing a company's scientific research and marketing, calling it "junk science." Won early dismissal in the district court and affirmance of the lower court's decision in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
- National news network and two of its on-air anchors in the successful defense against first-of-its-kind defamation claim based on fake news. Won summary judgment in district court; that decision was affirmed by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit.
- Financial technology companies in branding and trademark prosecution and enforcement strategies for mobile applications, including proceedings in the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
- Well-known news anchor in litigation against a toy company that sold a hamster doll with the same name.
- Global media organization in protecting copyright interests against social media platform and radio streaming service that used content without permission.
- Multiple journalists in advising on responses to grand jury subpoenas and other requests for testimony or documents relating to confidential or unpublished newsgathering; successfully prevented any from having to testify.
- One of the country's largest digital news platforms in multiple litigation and pre-litigation matters involving defamation, reporters' privilege, copyright, trademark, and the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- National news organization in litigation and ultimately persuaded a Senatorial candidate to cease publication of a campaign advertisement that used television news content and branding without authorization; negotiated without need for litigation voluntary take-downs of similar advertisements with multiple other national campaigns.
"Trailblazer"—Intellectual Property (2020)
"IP Star" (New York) (2015, 2020 - 2022)
- J.D., Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, Yeshiva University, cum laude
- B.A., University of Pennsylvania, cum laude, with distinction
- New York
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- Member, American Bar Association Forum on Communications Law (2015–present)
- Member, International Trademark Association, Right of Publicity Committee (2020–present)
- Member, New York State Bar Association Committee on Media Law (2014–present)
- Member, Media Law Resource Center (1994–present)
- Member, International Trademark Association, Public and Media Relations Committee (2018–2020)
- Co-chair, Commercial and Business Litigation Committee American Bar Association (2011–2014)