Ryan Hartman represents clients in civil litigation, criminal investigations, and regulatory enforcement actions, and advises companies on risk management, strategic transactions, and compliance. He has represented companies and executives in over 100 lawsuits, arbitrations, government and internal investigations, regulatory proceedings, and disputes, defeating billions of dollars in potential liability. His experience includes litigating cases before federal, state, territorial, bankruptcy, and appellate courts, defending companies facing investigation by enforcement agencies around the world, and working in over 40 countries with clients in energy, technology, financial services, healthcare, and other industries.
With extensive experience in private practice and as a lawyer and executive at one of the world's largest energy companies, Mr. Hartman combines robust advocacy for clients with a pragmatic and business-oriented approach to managing risk, satisfying regulatory expectations, leveraging technology, enabling transactions, and protecting individuals.
White collar investigations and defense: Mr. Hartman has represented companies, and advised their boards, audit committees, and executives, in government and internal investigations into areas such as the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and U.K. Bribery Act, trade sanctions and export controls, data privacy and breaches, antitrust and competition law, money laundering, whistleblower claims, fraud and accounting irregularities, financial disclosures, securities regulations, environmental laws, and campaign finance. These investigations have spanned dozens of countries and involved the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), and Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS), U.K. Serious Fraud Office (SFO), and other regulatory and enforcement agencies around the world.
Civil litigation: Mr. Hartman has defended companies, officers, and directors in complex civil litigation, including securities, shareholder, and M&A litigation, class actions, and cases alleging tortious interference, antitrust violations, misappropriation of trade secrets, non-compete and employment issues, breach of contract and fiduciary duty, and RICO violations. He has obtained injunctive relief and financial recoveries on behalf of corporate plaintiffs, and has represented creditors in bankruptcy cases and adversary proceedings regarding fraudulent transfers, asset sales, and other contested matters.
Governance, compliance, and risk management: Informed by his extensive experience defending clients and first-hand knowledge of the risks and realities faced by companies, in-house counsel, compliance officers, and business leaders, Mr. Hartman has advised clients on governance, compliance, and risk management, created and led pragmatic corporate compliance programs, managed a US monitorship, and helped clients design and execute strategic transactions.
- Obtained dismissal for a major lending institution of a federal lawsuit challenging sales of its securities and the US government’s guaranty of those securities.
- Obtained rescission of an agreement and dismissal of all counterclaims on behalf of investors.
- Represented a major lending institution as trial counsel in obtaining bankruptcy court approval of its $400 million purchase of a telecommunications enterprise in a 363 sale and litigating related claims.
- Represented a large healthcare system in a commercial dispute that was favorably resolved after the court granted partial summary judgment and awarded litigation costs for the client.
- Represented a private equity-backed company as trial counsel in obtaining injunctive relief against a competitor and enforcing non-compete agreements in an arbitration against former executives.
- Represented a professional services firm in obtaining dismissal of a civil RICO lawsuit.
- Represented a large healthcare provider as trial counsel in suing a competitor and former employees for misappropriating trade secrets, and defending against antitrust claims; the suit resulted in temporary and permanent injunctions, a financial settlement for the client, and dismissal of all counterclaims.
- Represented a Fortune 500 company and its officers and directors defending against direct and derivative shareholder suits and a suit by an unsuccessful bidder in connection with a $1 billion merger; after two courts denied the plaintiffs' requested injunctions, the merger was consummated.
- Represented major lending institutions and their officers in lawsuits to collect several hundred million dollars and defend against counterclaims; the suits resulted in judgments for the client and dismissal with prejudice of all counterclaims.
- Represented a leading investment management firm in defeating class certification in an Investment Advisers Act lawsuit that sought over $1 billion in damages.
- Represented one of the world's largest energy services companies in a suit against a competitor and former employees for misappropriating trade secrets; the suit resulted in a significant financial recovery and an award of temporary and permanent injunctive relief for the client.
- JD, University of Virginia School of Law, 2005
- BA, Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University, 2002
- District of Columbia
- Various US District Courts
- Various US Courts of Appeals