Michael Kim Michael Kim Krouse, a former federal prosecutor and accomplished trial lawyer, represents clients in white collar criminal defense, government and internal investigations, complex civil litigation, and regulatory compliance matters. Michael has secured successful outcomes for corporations, non-profit organizations, and individuals in some of their most challenging criminal and civil defense matters, including in connection with inquiries by the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC), and the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).
Michael brings an extensive background in investigations and enforcement, having served as an Assistant U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York (SDNY) and a Judge Advocate in the United States Marine Corps. As an AUSA in the SDNY, he handled matters involving financial fraud, healthcare fraud, foreign and domestic corruption, national security offenses, cybercrime, tax fraud, and money laundering. During his government service, Michael was lead or co-lead counsel on nine federal jury trials and 13 military courts-martial, and he briefed or argued 11 appeals before the Second Circuit.
Michael earned his J.D. from Yale Law School, where he was a member of the Supreme Court clinic and received the Harlan Fiske Stone Prize (best oralist) and Potter Stewart Prize (best team) in Moot Court. He also received the William K.S. Wang Prize for top performance in corporate law. He earned his B.S. in Economics from the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School of Business, summa cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa.
Michael clerked for the Honorable José A. Cabranes of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit and the Honorable Paul A. Engelmayer of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York.
Before law school, Michael worked for McKinsey & Company, the United Nations Development Program, and a non-governmental organization located in Afghanistan.
- Financial services firm in a securities fraud investigation conducted by the SEC and the SDNY. Prepared employees for interviews and produced documents related to the criminal and civil case against individuals who engaged in an insider trading scheme.
- Director of Quality Assurance in a food-safety criminal prosecution conducted by the DOJ’s consumer protection branch. Successfully negotiated a plea agreement to strict liability misdemeanors rather than the felonies sought by the DOJ, and convinced the court to impose a lenient sentence of community service.
- Multinational technology company in connection with internal investigations and international sanctions compliance.
- Non-profit organization in connection with investigations conducted by the Office of the Inspector General and various Congressional committees.
- Former Chief Investment Officer in an indicted securities fraud prosecution before the SDNY.
- Doctor in his appeal to the Second Circuit of a criminal conviction for fraud offenses and a related restitution order.
- Numerous companies and individuals in white collar investigations conducted by the SEC, CFTC, IRS, and DOJ regarding suspected tax fraud, commodities and securities fraud, public corruption, and cryptocurrency-related offenses.
Corporate Investigations and White-Collar Criminal Defense (2022)
- J.D., Yale Law School, 2008
- B.S., Economics, University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School, 2002, summa cum laude; Phi Beta Kappa
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces
- Supreme Court of the United States
Government & Military Service
- Assistant U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York
Major, United States Marine Corps
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, The Honorable Paul A. Engelmayer
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, The Honorable José A. Cabranes
- Board Member, Young Invincibles
Member, Asian American Bar Association of New York
Former Term Member, Council on Foreign Relations
- Member, Civic Education Task Force for the New York City Bar