Colin O'Brien is a partner in the firm’s Complex Litigation practice. He represents clients in commercial litigation and arbitration with a focus on breach of contract, class actions, and energy, healthcare, and insurance disputes. Recognized by Chambers USA, Colin has handled all aspects of civil litigation at the trial level and on appeals. A steadfast advocate of pro bono work, Colin has served as counsel in cases aimed at protecting refugees and free speech, and protecting against the abuse of power.
Colin graduated first in his class at Washington University in St. Louis School of Law, where he was an Executive Editor on the Washington University Law Review. Prior to joining the firm, he worked at another international law firm and clerked for the Honorable David M. Ebel of the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit.
- Represented a Fortune 500 natural gas and midstream processing company in a multi-billion dollar breach of contract arbitration.
- Represented a major natural gas marketing company in multiple state, federal, and arbitration disputes concerning force majeure and pricing disputes with gas purchasers.
- Represented a Fortune 500 healthcare services provider in state court litigation concerning the interpretation and application of state self-referral statute.
- Represented a large natural gas midstream processing company in several multi-million dollar commercial arbitrations concerning contractual rights and obligations related to the purchase, processing, and sale of natural gas.
- Advised a Fortune 500 resort company in contract negotiations, settlement negotiations, and litigation strategy in a wide array of real estate, hospitality, and consumer disputes.
- Represented companies in insurance coverage and payment disputes.
- Represented a government entity in litigation concerning its enforcement authority over certain mining operations.
- J.D., Washington University School of Law, 2009, summa cum laude
- B.S., Truman State University, 2006, cum laude
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit, The Honorable David M. Ebel