Eric Rubel focuses on product safety matters and related litigation. Mr. Rubel was General Counsel to the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) from 1994 to 1997. He has extensive experience as a product safety lawyer helping companies at all stages of a product's lifecycle, including to:
- address potential safety issues before a product is launched,
- assess compliance with CPSC regulations,
- develop effective recalls in the US and as part of coordinated global corrective action plans,
- avoid unnecessary recalls, and
- defend CPSC late reporting and post-recall sale investigations and other enforcement actions.
Mr. Rubel helps clients manage and coordinate the various litigation and regulatory matters that may arise out of product safety issues, including consumer class actions and commercial claims.
In addition, Mr. Rubel helps companies navigate state product safety requirements, including in the evolving area of "Green Chemistry" and chemicals of concern.
Mr. Rubel's experience includes representing manufacturers, distributors, and retailers of clothing, toys and other children's products, sporting goods, household appliances, home furnishings, heating and cooling equipment, lighting products, computer equipment, lithium-ion batteries, building materials, premiums, packaging, pharmaceutical drugs, cosmetics, and other products.
Product Liability and Mass Tort Defense: Pharmaceutical and Medical Devices (2007)
- JD, The George Washington University Law School, 1985
- BA, Middlebury College, 1982
- District of Columbia
- General Counsel, US Consumer Product Safety Commission
- United States Court of International Trade, The Honorable Jane A. Restani