Dr. Beatriz San Martin focuses her practice on the life sciences sector and emerging/disruptive technologies. She has significant first-chair experience handling cases before the UK Courts and the Court of Justice of the European Union, including high-profile European litigation. In addition to her patent and SPC experience, she also counsels on and litigates other IP rights including copyright, trademark, passing off, design rights, database rights and confidential information. Her cases have involved a wide range of technologies including pharmaceuticals, medical devices, agrochemicals, insulation products, software, medical imaging and mosquito nets—the last of which concerned technical trade secrets and led to her involvement in the largest ever confidential information case litigated in England & Wales.
Dr. San Martin has been recognized by Chambers, which has noted that she is "much sought after as a patent litigator for her extensive knowledge of pharmaceutical patents and SPCs" and is an IP lawyer who "impresses in sophisticated patent and confidential information cases". According to Chambers, sources described her as "a very creative, thoughtful litigator" who "excels in managing complex, multi-jurisdictional cases." Other sources have described her to The Legal 500 as a "super focused IP litigator" having IP knowledge and provides "the x-factor." She has also been recognized as a WIPR Leader and ranked by IAM and in 2015 was named as one of BioBeat's 50 female "Movers and Shakers" in BioBusiness.
Dr. San Martin is fluent in Spanish.
- PhD, Genetics, Cellular and Molecular Biology, University of Cambridge
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Law, BPP University Law School
- MA, University of Cambridge
- Legal Practice Course, BPP University Law School
- Diploma, Intellectual Property Law and Practice, Bristol University
- England and Wales
- Committee Member, Intellectual Property Lawyers' Association (IPLA)
- Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys (CIPA)
- European Lawyers' Association (EPLAW)
- Member, Cellular and Gene Therapy Advisory Committee, UK BioIndustry Association
- Member, Engineering Biology Advisory Committee, UK BioIndustry Association
- American Intellectual Property Lawyers' Association (AIPLA)
- Member, The Law Society, England & Wales
- Member, The Law Society of Ireland