John Schmidt leads the UK Competition team in London. He has more than two decades of experience dealing with competition authorities and courts in the UK and the EU and regularly advises on complex competition conduct issues, investigations, litigation, and merger cases. He is dual-qualified in the UK and Germany and has a particular focus on the life sciences, consumer goods, finance, and infrastructure sectors.
Mr. Schmidt has extensive experience advising pharmaceutical and medical device companies on pricing matters, including a number of reverse payment patent settlement cases both at the EU and UK level. A significant recent success involved acting for Teva Pharmaceuticals in the CMA's investigation into paroxetine after a statement of objections, a supplemental statement of objections, and two oral hearings.
He also advises on parallel trade and supply chain design, as well as challenging public procurement tenders on behalf of his clients.
Within the retail and consumer goods space, Mr. Schmidt regularly advises clients on pricing and distribution issues as well as online strategies. Significantly, he represented UK retailer John Lewis in a vertical pricing investigation into sports bras, a case that closed on a 'no grounds for action' basis after a statement of objection and an oral hearing.
In respect of merger control, recent merger cases in which he has advised include Skyscanner's acquisition by CTrip, Wolfson Microelectronics acquisition by Cirrus Logic, and Heineken in various acquisitions and joint ventures.
Mr. Schmidt has in-depth experience representing clients on complex competition litigation, such as successfully obtaining an interim injunction against Barclays bank for a refusal to supply a business (a case which subsequently settled). He has also acted in follow-on damages actions before the Competition Appeal Tribunal.
Mr. Schmidt has been consistently ranked as a leading lawyer by Chambers UK ("very knowledgeable, easy to work with and adept at explaining complicated issues."), Chambers Europe, and Chambers Global, as well as The Legal 500.
- TEVA/IVAX Pharmaceuticals (EU)
- Scottish & Newcastle (now Heineken) /Kuehne & Nagel (EU)
- Heineken/Stassen (UK)
- KKR/Comcast/Fanduel (EU)
- Shed Media in the AIM takeover by Warner Brothers (UK)
- Cirrus/Wolfson Microelectronics (UK)
- CTrip/SkyScanner (UK)
- Diploma in Legal Practice, The University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh Law School
- LLB (Hons), The University of Edinburgh
- Registered Foreign Lawyer, SRA
- Member, Joint Working Party on Competition Law of the Bars and Law Societies
- Member, Law Society of Scotland Competition Law Subcommittee
- Member, Studienvereinigung Kartellrecht
- Member, Scottish Government Expert Panel on the Collaborative Economy