Sara Shudofsky represents clients in a wide range of government investigations and commercial suits. Her practice focuses on healthcare and contracting fraud investigations and litigation, including under the False Claims Act and the Anti-Kickback Statute; challenges to the design & construction of buildings and related facilities under the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Fair Housing Act, as well as programmatic challenges brought under the ADA and state and local laws; environmental investigations and litigation, including under CERCLA, the asbestos NESHAP regulations, and the Clean Water Act; and general affirmative and defensive litigation, including in connection with regulatory and constitutional challenges.
Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Shudofsky was the Chief of the Civil Division of the United States Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York, where she supervised more than 55 Assistant United States Attorneys and oversaw litigation in a wide variety of practice areas, including financial, healthcare, and contracting fraud; civil rights; environmental protection; tax & bankruptcy; national security; torts; employment; FOIA; and general defensive litigation. During her earlier, sixteen-year tenure in the Civil Division, Ms. Shudofsky served as Chief of the Civil Rights Unit, Deputy Chief of the Civil Division, and Chief Appellate Attorney. Between her two tours at the US Attorney's Office, she spent five years in private practice, where she represented companies and individuals in connection with government investigations and complex civil litigation.
- Major art auction house in multiple related litigations involving allegations of fraud with respect to the purchase and sale of numerous art masterpieces.
- Various pharmaceutical and other healthcare companies in connection with federal civil government investigations under the False Claims Act and the Anti-Kickback statute.
- Pharmaceutical company in qui tam suits by relator alleging federal and state False Claims Act violations and violations of the Anti-Kickback statute.
- Various companies in connection with federal civil government investigations under the Americans with Disabilities Act and in litigation with private plaintiffs under the ADA and state and local law.
- Transportation network company in Article 78 action brought by company to challenge rulemaking by a New York City agency, and in a purported class action alleging violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act and the New York State Human Rights Law.
- Utility in environmental litigation alleging negligence, breach of contract, and violations of CERCLA and other statutes.
- Company in connection with federal civil government investigation under the asbestos regulations.
- Large industry trade group and multiple constituent companies in connection with a Fair Housing Act investigation by the United States Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York.
- Large insurance company in connection with an environmental suit brought against it under CERCLA.
- Individual sued for trademark infringement pertaining to the development of financial software.
- Various individuals and companies in connection with appeals in federal and state court, subpoenas for testimony and documents, and consultation as to potential initiation of litigation and pre-suit resolution of claims.
General Commercial Disputes (2017)
- JD, New York University School of Law, 1986
- BA, European History, University of Pennsylvania, 1983, summa cum laude, with distinction in the major
- New York
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- US District Court, Southern District of New York
- US District Court, Eastern District of New York
Assistant US Attorney, Civil Division, Southern District of New York
- Chief, Civil Rights Unit, SDNY US Attorney’s Office
- Deputy Chief, Civil Division, SDNY US Attorney’s Office
- Chief Appellate Attorney, Civil Division, SDNY US Attorney’s Office
- Chief, Civil Division, SDNY US Attorney’s Office
- Member, Board of Directors, Legal Services NYC (2017–Present)
Member, Civil Chiefs' Working Group (2014 - 2016) – Coordinated on a range of issues with Main Justice, federal agencies, and other US Attorneys' Offices
Member, Federal Courts Committee, Association of the Bar of the City of New York (2007 - 2009)