Sara Shudofsky is a trial and appellate lawyer with broad experience handling government investigations and commercial litigation. Her practice focuses on financial, healthcare, and contract fraud investigations, including under the False Claims Act, the Anti-Kickback Statute, and FIRREA; environmental litigation, including under CERCLA and the Clean Water Act; challenges to the design & construction of buildings under the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Fair Housing Act; and general defensive litigation, including in connection with regulatory and constitutional challenges.
Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Shudofsky was the Chief of the Civil Division of the United States Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York, where she supervised more than 55 Assistant United States Attorneys and oversaw litigation in a wide variety of practice areas, including financial, healthcare, and contract fraud; civil rights; environmental protection; tax & bankruptcy; national security; torts; employment; FOIA; and general defensive litigation. During her earlier, sixteen-year tenure in the Civil Division, Ms. Shudofsky served as Chief of the Civil Rights Unit, Deputy Chief of the Civil Division, and Chief Appellate Attorney. Between her two tours at the US Attorney's Office, she spent five years in private practice, where she represented companies and individuals in connection with government investigations and complex civil litigation.
- Large industry trade group and multiple constituent companies in connection with a Fair Housing Act investigation by the United States Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York.
- Large insurance company in connection with an environmental suit brought against it under CERCLA.
- Individual sued for trademark infringement pertaining to the development of financial software.
- Various individuals and companies in connection with appeals in federal and state court, subpoenas for testimony and documents, and consultation as to potential initiation of litigation and pre-suit resolution of claims.
General Commercial Disputes (2017)
- JD, New York University School of Law, 1986
- BA, European History, University of Pennsylvania, 1983, summa cum laude, with distinction in the major
- New York
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- US District Court, Southern District of New York
- US District Court, Eastern District of New York
Assistant US Attorney, Civil Division, Southern District of New York
- Chief, Civil Rights Unit, SDNY US Attorney’s Office
- Deputy Chief, Civil Division, SDNY US Attorney’s Office
- Chief Appellate Attorney, Civil Division, SDNY US Attorney’s Office
- Chief, Civil Division, SDNY US Attorney’s Office
Member, Civil Chiefs' Working Group (2014 - 2016) – Coordinated on a range of issues with Main Justice, federal agencies, and other US Attorneys' Offices
Member, Federal Courts Committee, Association of the Bar of the City of New York (2007 - 2009)