Matthew Shultz has extensive experience obtaining antitrust clearance from federal and foreign competition authorities for mergers and acquisitions. He represents clients before the FTC and DOJ, and regularly counsels clients on antitrust issues.
Matthew also has extensive experience advising clients on advertising and consumer protection issues—including online and social media marketing, green claims, health and weight loss claims, and Made in USA claims—and represents clients in consumer protection investigations by the FTC and state attorneys general.
Matthew has represented clients in a variety of sectors, including consumer products, energy, finance, industrial, online and mobile content, hospitality, and pharmaceuticals.
- Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. in its $17.4 billion acquisition of PPD Inc., a leading global provider of clinical research services. The transaction was reviewed and received unconditional clearances from competition authorities in the U.S., the EU and more than a dozen other jurisdictions worldwide.
- Boston Scientific Corporation in its $1.07 billion acquisition of Lumenis LTD from Baring Private Equity Asia.
- Boston Scientific Corporation in its acquisition of Preventice Solutions for $925 million and potential milestone payments.
- Boston Scientific Corporation in its $4.2 billion acquisition of BTG plc subject to the UK takeover code, and its related divestiture of BSC's microspheres business to Varian Medical Systems.
- Takeda Pharmaceutical in connection with a plasma industry collaboration created by Takeda and CSL – the CoVIg-19 Plasma Alliance.
- The Kroger Co. in the formation of a joint venture with Walgreens to create Retail Procurement Alliance, a group purchasing organization.
- General Electric in the $11 billion merger of Wabtec and GE Transportation. After a second request investigation that focused on potential vertical theories, the transaction was permitted to proceed without any remedy.
- The Kroger Co. in its $2.5 billion sale of its convenience store unit to EG Group, a privately-held convenience store retailer.
- The Kroger Co. in its acquisition of certain Farm Fresh stores from SUPERVALU.
- General Electric in its acquisitions of Arcam AB and Concept Laser GmbH, two additive manufacturing companies.
- General Electric in its $10.6 billion acquisition of Alstom's power and grid business, GE's largest-ever industrial acquisition.
- The National Titanium Dioxide Company Limited (d/b/a Cristal) in its estimated $2.4 billion sale of its titanium dioxide business to Tronox Limited, including the FTC's litigation challenging the transaction both in federal court and in FTC administrative proceedings.
- General Electric in its $4.3 billion acquisition of Avio, an aircraft engine parts supplier.
- General Electric in its $3.2 billion acquisition of Converteam, a leading provider of power conversion equipment.
- Talecris Biotherapeutics, a manufacturer of plasma-derived therapies, in its $4.1 billion acquisition by Grifols.
- J.D., Washington and Lee University School of Law, 2003, magna cum laude
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Virginia, 1997, with high distinction
- District of Columbia