Ronald Star co-heads the Emerging Companies and Venture Capital group, and participates in the Private Client Services practice. His practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, financings, venture capital, technology transactions, corporate governance, and securities law. He works closely with start-up and private companies and family businesses on issues related to equity and financings, intellectual property matters, the structuring of executive compensation (including stock arrangements), strategic ventures, acquisitions, and management buy-outs.
Mr. Star's engagements run the gamut from representing start-up companies in formation to representing major multinational companies in strategic transactions. His particular industry specialties include computer software and hardware, social media, semiconductors, information services businesses, Internet and multimedia companies, medical technology, food-related companies, hospitality, retail operations, and financial services companies.
Mr. Star is a member of the Professional Faculty at the Haas School of Business and the Fung Institute of Engineering Leadership at the University of California at Berkeley, where he teaches on entrepreneurship and new venture finance. He also is a frequent lecturer on venture capital transactions, acquisitions, strategic partnerships, employment matters, succession in family businesses, and closely held businesses.
Mr. Star's representative clients include:
- Allegis Capital
- Aperia Technologies
- Certain, Inc.
- DBL Partners
- The Detection Group
- Forensic Logic
- Fullpower Technologies
- G2 Insurance Services
- Nanoscale Components
- Profit Velocity
- Reiter Affiliated Companies
- The Saul Zaentz Company
- Superior Traffic Services
- Tanimura & Antle
- Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
Corporate Governance Law (2013-2020)
- JD, Harvard Law School, 1980, magna cum laude
- MBA, Harvard Business School, 1980, with distinction
- BA, Harvard University, 1976, magna cum laude
- Member, State Bar of California
- Member, Non-Senate Faculty Teacher-Special Programs, Fung Institute for Engineering Leadership at the College of Engineering, University of California Berkeley
- Member, Harvard Business School Community Partners
- Guest Lecturer and Former Member, Professional Faculty, University of California Berkeley, Haas School of Business
- National Faculty Member, iCorps (National Science Foundation program)