Jane Wessel focuses her practice in the areas of antitrust litigation and international commercial and investor state arbitration. Ms. Wessel has extensive experience handling competition damages litigation in the English High Court and the Competition Appeal Tribunal (CAT). Her work in this area has included acting for the claimants in one of the earliest claims in the CAT, Emerson Electric Inc. v. Morgan Crucible plc, and for one of the defendant airlines in the air cargo cartel litigation, Emerald Supplies Ltd v. British Airways plc. She also has many years' experience in investor state arbitrations under International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID), and international commercial arbitration under United National Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL), and major institutional and ad hoc arbitration rules.
Ms. Wessel also regularly advises on structuring dispute resolution provisions in international commercial agreements and on many aspects of cross-border litigation.
Ms. Wessel is admitted to practice law in England and Wales, Republic of Ireland, and the State of Illinois. She is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and a Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution (CEDR) accredited Mediator.
- Heineken's pan-European trucks fleet in relation to damages arising out of the EU trucks cartel.
- Scandinavian Airlines/SAS Cargo in the well-known Air Cargo Cartel litigation. One of recipients of the 2018 GCR Award for Litigation of the Year/Cartel Defence.
- Toshiba Carrier Limited and others seeking to recover damages from companies who operated a cartel in violation of Article 101, TFEU. See: Toshiba Carrier UK Ltd & Ors v KME Yorkshire Ltd & Ors  EWHC 2665 (Ch) (19 October 2011).
- Emerson Electric Co and other companies seeking to recover damages from companies who operated a cartel in violation of Article 101, TFEU. See: Emerson Electric Co & Ors v Morgan Crucible Company Plc  CAT 30 (16 November 2007).
- Advising various clients on potential claims or defences in relation to Multilateral Interchange Fees.
- Negotiating settlements on behalf of corporate clients of other competition damages claims.
- JD, Law, Loyola University Chicago School of Law, 1991, summa cum laude
- Post Graduate Certificate in Education, French, University of Bath, 1984
- BA (Hons), French with Italian, Exeter University, 1980
- England and Wales