World Trade Organization (WTO)
Arnold & Porter attorneys have represented sovereign States and non-state actors at the World Trade Organization (WTO) in all stages of WTO dispute settlement proceedings, including consultations, panel proceedings, Appellate Body proceedings, implementation arbitration, and compliance proceedings. Our professionals have assisted both developed and developing nations as complainants, respondents, and third parties in disputes involving goods and services under all of the major WTO-covered agreements, including the GATT, GATS, TRIPS and the WTO-covered agreements on agriculture, anti-dumping, subsidies and countervailing measures, safeguards, sanitary and phytosanitary measures, technical barriers to trade, import licensing, and rules of origin. We have also advised WTO members and other stakeholders on WTO jurisprudence, strategy, and negotiations.
Our team includes former senior government officials and trade diplomats who have been involved in the development and litigation of multiple disputes, both challenging other countries actions and defending government policies, since the establishment of the WTO in 1995.
A list of Representative Cases litigated by members of Arnold & Porter include the following:
- United States – Anti-Dumping Measures on Certain Oil Country Tubular Goods from Korea (WT/DS488).
- China – Measures Related to the Exportation of Rare Earths, Tungsten and Molybdenum (WT/DS431).
- China – Measures Concerning Wind Power Equipment (WT/DS419).
- China – Certain Measures Affecting Electronic Payment Services (WT/DS413).
- China – Measures Related to the Exportation of Various Raw Materials (WT/DS394).
- China – Grants, Loans, and Other Incentives (WT/DS387).
- China – Measures Affecting Financial Information Services and Foreign Financial Information Suppliers (WT/DS373).
- China – Measures Affecting Trading Rights and Distribution Services for Certain Publications and Audiovisual Entertainment Products (WT/DS363).
- China – Measures Affecting the Protection and Enforcement of Intellectual Property Rights (WT/DS362).
- China – Certain Measures Granting Refunds, Reductions, or Exemptions from Taxes and Other Payments (WT/DS358).
- China – Measures Affecting Imports of Automobile Parts (WT/DS340).
- Brazil – Measures Affecting Imports of Retreaded Tyres (WT/DS332).
- Dominican Republic – Measures Affecting the Importation and Internal Sale of Cigarettes (WT/DS302).
- European Communities – Export Subsidies on Sugar (WT/DS266).
- European Communities – Conditions for the Granting of Tariff Preferences to Developing Countries (WT/DS246).
- United States – Continued Dumping and Subsidy Offset Act of 2000 (WT/DS217, 234).
- European Communities – Regime for the Importation, Sale and Distribution of Bananas (WT/DS27/AB/R).