Stephanie Coutu is co-head of the Emerging Companies and Venture Capital group. Her practice focuses on venture capital, financings, mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance, and technology transactions.
Ms. Coutu has worked with start-up companies and established businesses in a variety of industries, with an emphasis on the Internet and technology sector, food and wine related companies, and consumer products. She has advised clients in connection with equity and debt securities offerings, acquisitions, venture capital, corporate reorganizations, licensing, and commercial transactions, joint ventures, employee compensation (including stock arrangements), intellectual property issues, sweepstakes and contests, and general corporate matters.
While at Boston University School of Law, she was an Editor of Boston University Law Review.
Ms. Coutu has lectured on venture financing and startup issues in various programs such as the Silicon Valley Association of Startup Entrepreneurs (SVASE) program "step by step process of raising equity from a VC Firm and how to build successful relationships with VC's," the West LegalEd Center and The Daily Journal's Corporate program on "Venture Capital Backed Businesses: The Special Case of Investor Dominated Boards," and the Neuro Startup Challenge.
- The Wine Group, the world's third largest wine producer by volume, in the acquisition of Benziger Family Winery LLC, including the purchase of Sonoma Mountain Benziger Family Winery and the Imagery Winery in Sonoma Valley.
- Fullpower Technologies in a Swiss joint venture (Manufacture Modules Technologies) with Union Horlogere Holdings to bring Fullpower's MotionX technology to the Swiss watch industry.
- Premier Nutrition Corporation (formerly Joint Juice, Inc.) in a variety of areas, including: equity financings, commercial agreements such as distribution agreements, co-packing agreements and endorsement and marketing agreements, and general IP and corporate advice.
- The Wine Group in connection with its sale and acquisitions of various intellectual property assets and in connection with a variety of distribution, co-marketing and other commercial agreements.
- MLC, a division of the National Australian Bank, in connection with its equity investments in several technology companies.
- Barnes & Noble in connection with its investment in Flashnotes, an online marketplace for students to buy and sell class notes and study materials.
- Telcare, a provider of wireless glucose meters, in connection with equity investments by Sequoia Capital, Qualcomm, Norwest Venture Partners, and Mosaic Health Solutions.
- Joint Juice, Inc., a nutritional supplement provider, in its acquisition of Premier Nutrition, Inc., a manufacturer and distributor of sports nutrition products, and the combined Joint Juice/Premier Nutrition business in its acquisition by Post.
- Sensys Networks, Inc., a provider of integrated wireless traffic data systems, in connection with equity financings by Siemens Venture Capital, Voyager Capital and Horizon Ventures, and in connection with general IP and corporate matters.
- Major consumer products company in its acquisition of a Florida-based Latin foods company.
- Ignite Game Technologies, an online gaming company, in connection with its equity financing rounds.
- Technology Partners in connection with its equity investments in several technology companies.
- Labcon North America in connection with drafting and negotiating license agreements, distribution agreements and supply agreements.
- Retail company in connection with licensing, manufacturing and distribution agreements, and provide general IP and corporate advice.
- Vocera in connection with equity investments by Venrock, Cisco Systems, and Motorola.
- Vocera Communications, Inc., a provider of hospital communication solutions, in its acquisition of Wallace Wireless, Inc., in its acquisition of Integrated Voice Solutions, Inc. and in its acquisition of the OptiVox® business division of Clinical Health Communications, Inc.
- Knowledge management and information search company in connection with the sale of its patent portfolio to Apple.
The Center for Advancing Innovation
- JD, Boston University School of Law, 1997, cum laude
- BA, University of California, Los Angeles, 1993, Psi Chi Honor Society
- Member, State Bar of California
- Member, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Bar Association of San Francisco
- Member, Business Development Committee, Queen's Bench Bar Association
- Member, Board of Directors, Breast Cancer Fund