Dina Hayes is co-chair of the firm’s Intellectual Property practice group. She has extensive complex trade secret litigation expertise involving state law trade secret statutes across multiple federal districts. Dina’s experience covers implementing best practices for protecting trade secrets under the Defend Trade Secrets Act as well as preparing custom made policies for the investigation and security of trade secret information.
Ms. Hayes is experienced in all facets of full scale multiple-patent and multiple-party patent litigation in a variety of industries. Her diverse experience includes handling complex intellectual property cases involving power tools, power tool accessories, automotive brake components, automotive electrical modules, biomedical infusion devices, power wheelchair suspension systems, cardiac ablation devices and techniques, and digital audio fingerprinting methods.
She has participated in respondent's strategies regarding 337 Investigations and provided trusted client consultation in response favorable rulings before the International Trade Commission.
Ms. Hayes's trademark litigation experience includes the filing and prosecution of applications, initiation and defense of opposition proceedings and the enforcement of trademarks through federal litigation and conducting civil seizures of counterfeit products.
In addition to her trial experience, Ms. Hayes is skilled in resolving patent matters through mediation, including the preparation of mediation statements, participation in mediation discussions and the negotiation of license and settlement agreements. She also advises clients in matters connected with application, opposition and reexamination proceedings before the United States Patent and Trademark Office for both patents and trademarks.
- Bosch Brake Components and Robert Bosch GmbH in a trade secret, copyright, and state law claim case concerning automotive aftermarket brake components, defended preliminary junction. Nucap Industries v. Bosch Brake Components LLC and Robert Bosch GmbH.
- Robert Bosch Tool Corporation and Robert Bosch GmbH in a trade secret, correction of inventorship of patent, breach of contract case related to power tool accessories, packaging and measuring devices. Maxtech Consumer Products, Ltd. v. Robert Bosch Tool Corp. and Robert Bosch GmbH.
- Robert Bosch LLC and Robert Bosch GmbH in trade secret, copyright and state claims regarding automotive electric body control modules. JST Corporation v. Robert Bosch LLC and Robert Bosch GmbH.
- Motorola Mobility in a patent infringement action relating to digital rights management technology. ContentGuard v. Motorola Mobility, et al.
- B. Braun Medical in a patent infringement/ownership action related to intelligent medical infusion pumps and methods of therapy. B. Braun Medical, Inc. v. CareFusion Corporation, Hospira, Inc.
- Sunrise in companion patent infringement, invalidity and defense cases between competitors in power wheelchair industry concerning market leading products. Permobil, Inc. v. Sunrise Medical (US) LLC
- Kolcraft in patent infringement action covering utility and design patents on children's play yards. Kolcraft Enterprises v. Chicco USA
- DR Systems, an innovative designer manufacturer and supplier of imaging solutions against Kodak in successful enforcement of its propriety utility patent rights. DR Systems, Inc. v. Kodak
- Illinois Tool Works in defense of a patent infringement action by 3M regarding paint disbursement systems for the automotive industry. 3M v. Illinois Tool Works, Inc.
- ServerTech in patent infringement cross-suit between competitors regarding intelligent power supplies for data rack storage facilities. ServerTech v. APC Corp.
- Robert Bosch Battery Systems LLC in a complex litigation matter regarding lithium ion battery supplies in the automotive industry; including obtaining a preliminary injunction prior to required alternative dispute resolution procedures. Robert Bosch Battery Systems LLC v. Samsung SDI America, Inc. and Samsung SDI Co. Ltd.
Patent Litigation: Full Coverage (2022)
Patent: prosecution (including reexamination and post-grant proceedings) (2022)
Trademarks: litigation (2022)
- JD, DePaul University College of Law, 1999
- BS, Biology, College of William & Mary, 1995
- US District Court, Northern District of Illinois