Stephen Koval is co-head of the firm's Private Equity practice and concentrates his practice on structuring and negotiating complex business transactions and private equity structures, including public and private mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, carveouts, recapitalizations and workouts. He has substantial experience in public offerings and private placements of debt and equity securities, representing financial institutions and US issuers of all sizes in the United States, and both US and international entities in cross-border offerings. He is also experienced in the restructuring of the debt of financially distressed public and private companies.
Mr. Koval is an experienced corporate counselor, advising boards of directors and their committees on a broad range of issues, including governance and executive compensation. His practice is particularly focused on several industries in which he has substantial experience, including retail, consumer goods and luxury brands, transactional health care, industrials and services.
- Comoto Holdings and its private equity sponsor Prospect Hill Growth Partners (f/k/a J.W Childs Equity Growth Partners) in the acquisition of J&P Cycles, the industry's largest omni-channel retailer or aftermarket products for the American V-Twin rider.
- Versus Investment Partners (f/k/a Uni-World Capital) in its sale of VanDeMark Chemical Inc., one of the world's largest, independent manufacturers of phosgene and phosgene derivatives, to Comvest Investment Partners.
- Union Acquisition Corp., a special purpose acquisition company, in its combination with Bioceres, Inc., a Latin American agricultural biotech company and subsidiary of Bioceres S.A., named Private Equity Deal of the Year for 2019 by Latin Lawyer.
- J.W. Childs Equity Partners and J.P. Morgan Partners in the acquisitions and associated financings of Pinnacle Foods and Aurora Foods in separate acquisitions, one through the going-private bankruptcy of Aurora Foods, and the combination of those businesses, in transactions aggregating several billion dollars.
- J.W. Childs Equity Partners and Merrill Lynch Global Private Equity in the acquisition of Advantage Sales & Marketing Inc. (ASM) for approximately $1.05 billion, and its subsequent sale to Apax Partners for $1.8 billion.
- Veracen LP, a private investment firm, in its merger-of-equals with Turner Investments.
- NexPhase Capital in its acquisition of Zing Zang LLC, a leading independent marketer of non-alcoholic cocktail mixes.
- Verus Investment Partners (f/k/a Uni-World Capital) in its sale of CAPS Payroll, a leading payroll provider in multiple entertainment markets, to Cast & Crew Entertainment Services.
- J.W. Childs Equity Partners in an investment in Comoto Holdings Inc., a holding company housing its portfolio company Cycle Gear Inc. and Revzilla Motorsports LLC, two of the nation's leading retailers of apparel, accessories and parts for motorcycle enthusiasts.
- Halifax Capital Partners in the sale of Caring Brands International, a leading worldwide franchisor of home healthcare services, to Levine Leichtman Capital Partners.
- Verus Investment Partners (f/k/a Uni-World Capital) in its acquisition of Drake Manufacturing Services Co., a leading manufacturer of precision CNC machine tools.
- J.W. Childs Equity Partners in the sale of JA Holding, Inc., the parent company of the American clothing brand Joseph Abboud, to Men's Wearhouse for approximately $97.5 million in cash.
- NexPhase Capital (f/k/a Moelis Capital Partners) in a growth investment in Dr. Fresh Inc. and an add-on acquisition of the Reach brand toothbrush assets of Johnson & Johnson.
M&A/Corporate and Commercial: Private Equity Buyouts (2016-2019)
- JD, University of Pennsylvania, 1984
- MBA, University of Pennsylvania, 1984
- BS, St. John's University, 1979, summa cum laude
- New York
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, New York State Bar Association
- Member, Board of Directors, Smithsonian Institution Libraries
- Member, Museum Advisory Council, American Museum of Natural History
- Member, Board of Directors, The Metropolitan Opera Guild
- Member, Fundraising committees for numerous educational and philanthropic institutions