John Lombardo represents plaintiffs and defendants in complex commercial litigation in state and federal courts, as well as in arbitrations. He has experience handling all stages of litigation, including through jury trial as lead trial counsel and serving as first chair in major arbitrations. His practice encompasses a broad range of business litigation including contract, environmental, antitrust, consumer protection, unfair competition (including Business and Professions Code section 17200), trade secret, and franchise disputes. He has extensive experience defending class and representative suits and in litigation involving non-U.S. parties. His clients include consumer and pharmaceutical product manufacturers, an international oil company, a national defense contractor, insurance companies, and a leading national convenience store chain.
Mr. Lombardo serves on the firm's Risk Committee. He served by appointment a three-year term on the State Bar of California's Committee on Administration of Justice.
- PharmaRx v. General Electric. As counsel to GE, obtained dismissal under Rule 12 of a putative class action challenging alleged exclusive dealing agreement between GE and one of its distributors of radiopharmaceuticals.
- Defended a national television network against a Sherman Act section 1 case brought by a putative nationwide class of cable and satellite TV subscribers who allege that the sale of programming in bundled "tiers" of channels, rather than a la carte, is an unlawful restraint of trade (see Brantley v. NBC Universal, Inc., 649 F.3d 1078 (9th Cir. 2011)).
- Represented a marketing services company in a "tying" case against its leading competitor under California's Cartwright Act, Unfair Practices Act, and Unfair Competition Law.
- Defended a computer memory chip manufacturer in public and private (including class) actions alleging an industry-wide price-fixing conspiracy under federal and state antitrust laws.
- J.D., University of California, Los Angeles School of Law, 1996, Order of the Coif
- B.A., Claremont McKenna College, 1993, magna cum laude
- Executive Committee Member, Antitrust and Unfair Business Practices Section, Los Angeles County Bar Association, 2008-2016
- Member, Antitrust & Unfair Competition Section, State Bar of California
- Member, Litigation Section, State Bar of California
- Appointed Member, Committee on Administration of Justice, State Bar of California, 2007-2010