Hilton Mervis is head of the firm's Commercial Dispute Resolution group for Europe. Mr. Mervis has nearly 30 years' experience of litigating and resolving high-value, complex and multi-jurisdictional disputes. He represents corporations, private equity firms and high-net-worth individuals on a variety of disputes and has particular experience of complex civil fraud cases, contractual disputes, international partnership, banking disputes, shareholder disputes, corporate and financial services disputes.
Mr. Mervis is listed in all leading directories including being recognised in three separate Chambers categories. He is ranked in Tier 1 by Chambers in Commercial and Corporate Litigation in which his clients comment that he is "a superb tactician" known for handling complex disputes arising out of shareholder, partnership and contractual arrangements. He is described as "very tenacious and very client-focused," and his creative approach is also praised: "One of his greatest strengths is that he comes up with out of the box solutions to complex issues."
These comments are reflected in his separate ranking for Chambers Partnership Contentious in which he is noted for being a corporate and financial services litigator of "outstanding experience whom sources acknowledge as a leader in the partnership disputes space." Clients say: "[Hilton's] tenacity and commitment to his clients' interests is second to none. He fights your corner with every sinew." Further client comments include that he is "a superb tactician" and that "he is a brilliant lateral thinker who comes up with inventive solutions." (Chambers, Europe Guide: UK Litigation).
Mr. Mervis has consistently received client feedback throughout the years for his innovative thinking and is acclaimed as being an "extremely analytical and cerebral lawyer who brings an incredible clarity of analysis" to complex matters.
Mr. Mervis is a member of the Commercial Court Users Committee by appointment. He is a founding member and Chair of London Commercial Litigators' Forum. He is also the editor of the authoritative text on private equity disputes: PEI's Managing Private Fund Disputes.
- Minority shareholders in a major, high-value unfair prejudice shareholder dispute relating to the affairs of the holding company of the well-known Radisson Edwardian Hotel chain in the London High Court. Successfully obtained buyout order against majority holders.
- Acted as advocate in Court of Appeal on freezing injunction establishing case law in that area.
- Acted on case involving constructive trust arising from alleged illegal transfer of a business.
- Acted on multi-jurisdictional fraud proceedings involving taking evidence under s1782 of Federal Code in support of proceedings in Europe.
- Acted for healthcare provider in obtaining a worldwide freezing injunction and High Court action for deceit in relation to a business sale.
- Numerous high-value disputes for the leading private equity and hedge clients the subject of confidential arbitration clauses.
- Commercial court case involving duties of general partner (gross negligence, willful misconduct), Californian and English law, defaulting investors.
- First proceedings involving court case to remove general partner.
- Unfair prejudice dispute and Court of Appeal decision on ability to bring unfair prejudice actions for conduct of subsidiary.
- High-value asset management client involving confidential arbitrations.
- Warranty and completion account claims the subject of High Court proceedings and arbitrations.
- Involved on high-profile defamation cases for individuals and corporates, and protecting business reputation and crisis management.
- Acting on dispute between two leading pharma companies in interpretational supply-based contracts.
- Acting on arbitration on development agreement in key dispute determining the survival of client.
- High Court action for delivery up of source code and software dispute.
- Involved in processes relating to alleged hacking into computer servers based in the USA.
Commercial and Corporate Litigation (London) (2018-2023)
Litigation (London) (2016-2018)
Commercial Litigation Premium (2022-2023)
International Arbitration (2022-2023)
Commercial Litigation (2015, 2017-2021)
Banking Litigation: Investment and Retail (2015)
- LL.B. (Hons), University College London
- England and Wales
- Solicitor Advocate - Higher Rights of Audience (Civil)
- Chair, London Commercial Litigators' Forum
- ADR Group Accredited Mediator
Commercial Court Users Committee
- Founder sponsor and supporter of Pro Bono Centre Chancery Lane