James Speyer defends retailers, franchisors, and other companies in complex litigation, including consumer class actions, franchisee lawsuits, and antitrust lawsuits. He also represents clients in civil litigation brought by public officials and public entities. In cases involving multiple defendants within an industry, Mr. Speyer has led the joint defense effort on numerous occasions.
Mr. Speyer has a successful track record in false advertising litigation brought under state consumer protection statutes. In each of the last two years, Law360 named him one of five "Law360 MVPs" in the nation in the consumer protection field.
- Kohl's Department Stores in false price advertising enforcement action brought by the Los Angeles City Attorney.
- DeVry Education Group (now Adtalem) in false advertising litigation regarding graduate employment prospects.
- Jos. A. Bank Clothiers in false price advertising class action.
- Nature's Bounty in "Made In USA" class action.
- 7-Eleven in franchisee class action alleging that franchisees have been misclassified as independent contractors.
- BP West Coast Products in franchisee mass action involving gasoline pricing.
- Dunkin' Brands in consumer class action under California's gift card statute.
- McDonald's in consumer class action litigation.
- Major League Baseball in consumer class action litigation.
- Philip Morris USA in antitrust class action litigation.
- Verisign in antitrust litigation.
- Live Nation in antitrust class action litigation.
- Allianz in connection with personal injury claims brought by retired NFL players against its insured, a leading helmet manufacturer.
MVP: Consumer Protection (2016)
- JD, George Washington University Law School, 1985
- BA, History and Philosophy, Williams College, 1981, Phi Beta Kappa
- New York
Member, American Bar Association
Member, California State Bar
Member, New York State Bar
Member, Los Angeles County Bar
Member, Los Angeles Superior Court Bench/Bar Committee
Board Member, Law360 Competition Editorial Advisory Board
Director, Board of Directors, Premiere Oncology Foundation