James Speyer defends retailers, franchisors, and other companies in complex litigation, including consumer class actions, antitrust lawsuits, and commercial disputes. He also represents clients in civil litigation brought by public entities, and his recent defense of a national retailer in a multi-billion dollar false advertising action brought by the Los Angeles City Attorney earned him the Daily Journal’s “Top Trial Verdicts” award. Outside of litigation, Mr. Speyer counsels clients on pricing and price advertising issues.
Mr. Speyer was named one of the “Top 100 California Lawyers” for 2022 by the Daily Journal and is a three-time "Law360 MVP" in the consumer protection field.
- Kohl's Department Stores in false price advertising enforcement action brought by the Los Angeles City Attorney.
- DeVry Education Group (now Adtalem) in false advertising litigation regarding graduate employment prospects.
- Jos. A. Bank Clothiers in false price advertising class action.
- Nature's Bounty in "Made In USA" class action.
- 7-Eleven in franchisee class action alleging that franchisees have been misclassified as independent contractors.
- BP West Coast Products in franchisee mass action involving gasoline pricing.
- Dunkin' Brands in consumer class action under California's gift card statute.
- McDonald's in consumer class action litigation.
- Major League Baseball in consumer class action litigation.
- Philip Morris USA in antitrust class action litigation.
- Verisign in antitrust litigation.
- Live Nation in antitrust class action litigation.
- Allianz in connection with personal injury claims brought by retired NFL players against its insured, a leading helmet manufacturer.
“Top Verdicts” for defense verdict in false advertising lawsuit brought by the Los Angeles City Attorney (2022)
Named one of California's "Top 20 Lawyers Under 40" (1999)
MVP: Consumer Protection (2016)
- J.D., The George Washington University Law School, 1985
- B.A., History and Philosophy, Williams College, 1981, Phi Beta Kappa
- New York
Member, American Bar Association
Member, California State Bar
Member, New York State Bar
Member, Los Angeles County Bar
Member, Los Angeles Superior Court Bench/Bar Committee
Board Member, Law360 Competition Editorial Advisory Board
- Director, Board of Directors, Premiere Oncology Foundation