Derek Stoldt is co-chair of the firm's Corporate and Finance group. Mr. Stoldt is also a co-head of the Life Sciences Transactions practice and previously led the M&A practice. He represents life sciences, medical technology, and healthcare companies, as well as private equity funds and their portfolio companies in M&A, securities offerings, joint ventures, and other complex contractual transactions.
Mr. Stoldt has substantial experience with international and cross-border transactions in Europe and South America. While in London, Mr. Stoldt qualified as a solicitor of the Supreme Court of England and Wales.
Mr. Stoldt is particularly active in continuing legal education. He conducts training programs for our lawyers and in-house counsel at our clients. Mr. Stoldt counsels a number of community service organizations on a pro bono basis.
He received his law degree from Georgetown University Law Center, cum laude, where he served as Editor of the American Criminal Law Review.
- AstraZeneca in agreements for the funding and global distribution of the University of Oxford's potential COVID-19 vaccine as well as the establishment of its global manufacturing and supply chain for the vaccine, including agreements with the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI), Gavi the Vaccine Alliance (Gavi), the Serum Institute of India (SII), the Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA) in the US, and the governments of Germany, France, Italy, and the Netherlands.
- Alcon in its acquisition of PowerVision Inc. a medical device development company focused on creating fluid-based intraocular lens implants.
- Alcon in the formation of a strategic alliance with US-based PowerVision Inc. to develop fluid-based accommodating intraocular lenses (AIOL) for cataract patients.
- Pharmachem Laboratories, a leading provider of quality ingredients to the global health and wellness industries, on its sale to Ashland, a global leader in providing specialty chemical solutions.
- Novartis in schizophrenia drug license and settlement arrangements with Vanda Pharmaceuticals, including (i) sale of all US and Canadian rights in the Fanapt® franchise to Vanda; (ii) $25 million equity investment in Vanda at a price per share equal to $13.82; and (iii) granting to Vanda of an exclusive worldwide license to AQW051, a phase II alpha-7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor partial agonist.
- Chinese private investor in an equity investment in a US-based pharmaceutical company.
- Sandoz in its $1.525 billion acquisition of specialty dermatology generics company Fougera Pharmaceuticals from a consortium of private equity funds led by Nordic Capital, DLJ Merchant Banking (a Credit Suisse affiliate) and Avista Capital Partners.
- Start-up veterinary biotechnology company in the out-license of an innovative technology to a large pharmaceutical company.
- Major pharmaceutical company in the divestiture of a branded pharmaceutical product, its marketing authorizations and related rights in separate transactions for North America and Europe.
- Alcon in its acquisition of WaveTec Vision, a privately-held company that developed the ORA System, the first commercialized intra-operative guidance system for cataract surgeons implanting intraocular lenses.
- Sandoz in a collaboration agreement with biotechnology company MedinCell to develop and commercialize long-acting injectable drug products based on MedinCell’s proprietary technology platform for controlled and sustained drug delivery, with a primary focus on oncology.
- Novartis in its acquisition of Sideris Pharmaceuticals and its lead asset, the iron-chelating candidate SP-420.
Private Equity Buyouts (2021)
M&A/Corporate and Commercial: M&A Middle-Market (sub-$500m) (2018-2019)
"Life Sciences Star" – Licensing & Collaboration (2018-2019-2020)
"Life Sciences Star" – Corporate (2017-2020)
"Life Sciences Star" – Mergers & Acquisitions (2017-2020)
"Life Sciences Star" – Finance & Transactional (2013-2016)
- JD, Georgetown University Law Center, 1994, cum laude
- AB, Georgetown University, 1990
- New York
- New Jersey
- Member, Alumni Board, Georgetown University Law Center