Derek Stoldt is co-head of each of the firm's M&A and Life Sciences Transactions practices. He represents life sciences, medical technology, and healthcare companies, as well as private equity funds and their portfolio companies in M&A, securities offerings, joint ventures, and other complex contractual transactions.
Mr. Stoldt has substantial experience with international and cross-border transactions in Europe and South America. While in London, Mr. Stoldt qualified as a solicitor of the Supreme Court of England and Wales.
Mr. Stoldt is particularly active in continuing legal education. He conducts training programs for our lawyers and in-house counsel at our clients. Mr. Stoldt counsels a number of community service organizations on a pro bono basis.
He received his law degree from Georgetown University Law Center, cum laude, where he served as Editor of the American Criminal Law Review.
- Alcon in its acquisition of PowerVision Inc. a medical device development company focused on creating fluid-based intraocular lens implants.
- Alcon in the formation of a strategic alliance with US-based PowerVision Inc. to develop fluid-based accommodating intraocular lenses (AIOL) for cataract patients.
- Pharmachem Laboratories, a leading provider of quality ingredients to the global health and wellness industries, on its sale to Ashland, a global leader in providing specialty chemical solutions.
- Novartis in schizophrenia drug license and settlement arrangements with Vanda Pharmaceuticals, including (i) sale of all US and Canadian rights in the Fanapt® franchise to Vanda; (ii) $25 million equity investment in Vanda at a price per share equal to $13.82; and (iii) granting to Vanda of an exclusive worldwide license to AQW051, a phase II alpha-7 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor partial agonist.
- Chinese private investorin an equity investment in a US-based pharmaceutical company.
- Sandoz in its $1.525 billion acquisition of specialty dermatology generics company Fougera Pharmaceuticals from a consortium of private equity funds led by Nordic Capital, DLJ Merchant Banking (a Credit Suisse affiliate) and Avista Capital Partners.
- Start-up veterinary biotechnology company in the out-license of an innovative technology to a large pharmaceutical company.
- Major pharmaceutical company in the divestiture of a branded pharmaceutical product, its marketing authorizations and related rights in separate transactions for North America and Europe.
- Alcon in its acquisition of WaveTec Vision, a privately-held company that developed the ORA System, the first commercialized intra-operative guidance system for cataract surgeons implanting intraocular lenses.
- Sandoz Inc. in a collaboration agreement with biotechnology company MedinCell to develop and commercialize long-acting injectable drug products based on MedinCell’s proprietary technology platform for controlled and sustained drug delivery, with a primary focus on oncology.
- Novartis in its acquisition of Sideris Pharmaceuticals and its lead asset, the iron-chelating candidate SP-420.
"Life Sciences Star" – Corporate, Mergers & Acquisitions (2017-2018)
"Life Sciences Star" – Finance & Transactional (2013-2016)
- JD, Georgetown University Law Center, 1994, cum laude
- AB, Georgetown University, 1990
- New York
- New Jersey
- Member, Alumni Board, Georgetown University Law Center