Congressional Oversight and Investigations
Our team also frequently represents clients in congressional oversight hearings and investigations. Often working with our white collar defense attorneys ensures that clients with potential criminal exposure are well advised. Our ability to understand and weigh the legal, public relations, and business implications of a high-profile investigation enables us to develop responses that minimize risk to a client's litigation posture or reputation. We also provide procedural and political counsel for these inquiries.
Highlights of Representations:
- Lisa Page, former senior Federal Bureau of Investigation attorney, before the House Judiciary and House Oversight and Reform Committees and Senate Select Committee on Intelligence regarding the FBI's investigations of the Clinton email server and Russian interference in the US election.
- Ambassador L. Paul Bremer in his appearance before the House Committee with respect to his service as Administrator of the Coalition Provisional Authority in Iraq.
- General David Petraeus, former Director of the CIA, with respect to his testimony before the House Select Committee on Benghazi.
- Major defense and aerospace contractors in investigations by the Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations in procurement matters.
- Several nominees for senior positions in Senate confirmation hearings.
- Members of Congress in sensitive investigations, including criminal investigations and prosecutions, involving national security.
- Former government official potentially involved in the Congressional investigations of Hillary Clinton.
- Dr. Salomon Melgen in a Congressional investigation before the Senate Select Ethics Committee related to the doctor’s donations to Sen. Robert Menendez (D-NJ).
- Former Gabonese President Omar Bongo in a Congressional investigation conducted by the Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations regarding alleged money laundering with large, prestigious banks.
- Hill staffer in two ethics investigations by the House Committee on Ethics and the Office of Congressional Ethics.
- Former head of quasi-governmental entity in oversight inquiry by Congressional committee.
- Monica Crowley in a Congressional investigation before the Senate Judiciary Committee related to the 2016 presidential election.
- Martha Stewart in a Congressional investigation before the House of Energy and Commerce Committee for alleged insider trading.
- Federal employee in the Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations inquiry into improper conduct by the US Secret Service in Cartagena, Colombia.
- Top White House official in House and Senate "Whitewater" hearings.