Theresa House is seasoned litigator whose practice focuses on the legal issues surrounding the media and First Amendment law, data privacy and cybersecurity, and intellectual property, with particular strength in the protection of trademark and copyright assets.
As a litigator, she advises on First Amendment, defamation, reporters’ privilege, copyright, trademark, fair use, unfair competition, right of publicity, and licensing issues, and handles trademark search clearance advice, enforcement counseling and disputes, and proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. Ms. House also counsels on legal risk assessments and mitigation strategies, developing compliance policies and developing incident responses.
- Protecting a journalist from having to reveal confidential sources in a high-profile criminal case, making new law before the NY Court of Appeals.
- Counseling a media/information company in conducting a high-profile review of data privacy and security practices on a highly compressed timetable.
- Successfully representing a major cable news network and its employees in defending a defamation claim, in a victory that was affirmed on appeal.
- Day-to-day editorial counseling and representation of a cable news network and a major daily newspaper, including IP issues and libel defense.
- Second-chairing a three-week jury trial in federal court involving First Amendment claims.
- Successfully representing a news website in resisting efforts by a litigant to force disclosure of the identity of an anonymous commenter.
- Counseling a nonprofit on policies applicable to storing, using, and transacting credit card information.
- Winning dismissal of copyright infringement claims against entertainment company based on a popular book series and defending the victory on appeal.
- Successfully persuaded the US Trademark Office to recognize trademark protection for open-source computer software.
- Trademark clearance and enforcement advice for global trademark portfolio of leading internet and technology company.
- JD, Harvard Law School
- BA, Harvard University, magna cum laude
- New York
- US Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- US District Court, Eastern District of New York
- US District Court, Southern District of New York
- Co-Chair, Privacy and Data Security Committee, American Bar Association Section of Litigation (2015-2017)
- Co-Chair, Trial Practice Committee, American Bar Association Section of Litigation (2012-2015)
- Vice Chair, Trial Practice Committee, American Bar Association Section of Litigation (2011-2012)
- Member, Association of the Bar of the City of New York, Committee on Media and Communications Law
- Member, Media Law Resource Center Defense Counsel Section, International Media Law Committee and Pre-Publication Review Committee
- Member, New York State Bar Association