Arnold & Porter—Accelerate
Arnold & Porter offers work experience to Year 12 students who are interested in pursuing a career in law. Recognising that entering the profession can be extremely difficult, especially for those with least access, we are committed to improving access to the legal profession through our work experience programme.
Week 1: Students spend a week in our London office, gaining valuable insight into life at the firm and taking part in various workshops and sessions.
Week 2: Students spend a day at five different organisations as part of the Social Mobility Business Partnership (SMBP).
Students are expected to complete both weeks of the programme.
Ongoing Mentoring Support
Students will be matched with an Arnold & Porter mentor throughout Year 13 as part of our structured mentoring programme with Mentoring Works.
- Lunch and travel costs will be provided for both weeks.
- Location: The programme will take place at our London office.
We are looking for enthusiastic students who are interested in a career in law. Additionally, students must meet both sets of conditions listed below, created by both Arnold & Porter and PRIME, an alliance of law firms across the UK and Republic of Ireland that is committed to improving access to the legal profession through work experience.
Students who participate must:
- Be in Year 12
- Want to pursue a career in law
- Have achieved an average General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE) Grade of 5.5 or above
- Attend, and have attended from aged 11, a state-funded, nonfee-paying school/college
- Have grown up in a household where no parent or guardian attended university
Additional PRIME Criteria
Students must also meet one or more of the following:
- Be in receipt of, or have previously received, free school meals, Pupil Premium, Education Maintenance Allowance and/or 16 to 19 Bursary
- Be, or have been, in local authority care (for a period of three months or longer)
- Be, or have been, a full-time or part-time carer
- Entered the UK as a refugee or asylum seeker
- Be attending a state school or college with:
- Below average A-Level or higher point score, and/or
- Low rate of progression to higher education*
*Visit the PRIME website for more information on how to verify whether your school meets the criteria above.
Young people who meet the local authority care criterion do not need to meet any other PRIME criterion.
The programme runs once a year during the summer holidays and students need to be available for both weeks to take part in the programme.
- 25 November 2022: Applications open
- 1 March 2023: Applications close
- April 2023: Telephone interviews take place
- May 2023: Offers confirmed
- 24–28 July 2023: Arnold & Porter Week takes place
- 31 July–4 August 2023: SMBP Week takes place
If you would like to apply, please complete the online application form, which can be found here:
For any questions about the process, please use the link below to contact us directly via email:
Tips for completing the application form:
We want to know more about you, why you are interested in a career in law and what you hope to gain from completing work experience at Arnold & Porter. Before completing your application, consider the following:
- Spend time researching Arnold & Porter and the areas of law we specialise in.
- Think about what made you want to apply to Arnold & Porter.
- Make sure you proofread your application before submitting it, making sure to check spelling and grammar. The ”spelling and grammar” checker in Word is an easy way to do this.
Feedback from previous students:
“Corporate law is notoriously difficult to enter and I knew that work experience would give me insight into this sector. Arnold & Porter was compelling because of the pro bono work they do. During the week, I gained the confidence to ask questions and present myself more articulately.”
“Work experience taught me that a career as competitive as law means dealing with unexpected situations and that succeeding in such an environment requires resilience. I refined my presentation skills significantly and learnt how to create a CV that stands out from other applicants.”
“I just wanted to say a huge thank you for everything. Taking part in the programme has given me an amazing insight into law. Meeting new people across the two week programme has allowed me to form new networks which was a skill I wanted to develop before starting the programme. I cannot thank you enough for giving me this amazing opportunity.”